Session Border Control (SBC) is a critical network function for real-time communications in the cloud. Service providers have multiple SBC deployment options, ranging from appliance-based in a data center or virtual implementations leveraging private cloud resources. By harnessing the power of network functions virtualization (NFV) it is now possible to offer Session Border Control as a Service (SBCaaS).
As a managed service, virtual SBCs may be deployed at the edge of a service provider's cloud as a virtual Customer Premise Equipment (vCPE) or in an even more distributed model where the virtual SBC is software residing on the customer premises, known as universal Customer Premises Equipment (uCPE).
Session Border Control as a Service - Service Provider Benefits
- Turn up services for customers in minutes/days rather than weeks/months
- Optimize total cost of ownership using orchestration, virtual machine resources and commercial off the shelf (COTS) platforms
- Elasticity to match virtual resources to dynamic traffic profiles
Session Border Control as a Service - Enterprises Benefits
- Eliminates need to procure, install, deploy, and maintain SBCs
- More easily align required SBC capacity with seasonal business or high variability in traffic levels
- Provides the ability to add/reduce capacity using a pay-as-you-go subscription model