Giving Back to the OpenStack Community
The telecommunications industry is in the middle of a sea change, transitioning from a hardware centric to a software centric world. We are finally seeing the promises of Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) come to fruition.
Open sourcing is one of the key reasons for some of the important recent key successes on the NFV front. One of the groups that are leading the charge in NFV and open sourcing is the OpenStack Community and one of the most important conferences in the OpenStack Community is just around the corner. The OpenStack Summit is taking place in Vancouver, Canada May 21 -24.
The OpenStack Summit brings together the people that are “in the trenches” when it comes to building and operating open infrastructure, with over 200 sessions and workshops on Container Infrastructure, CI/CD, Telecom + NFV, Public Cloud, Private & Hybrid Cloud and members of open source communities like Kubernetes, Docker, OPNFV, Ansible, Ceph, ONAP, Open vSwitch and OpenStack.
As a beneficiary of the output from the OpenStack community, Ribbon is committed to sharing its knowledge from lessons learned during implementation of OpenStack for real-time communications. We are excited to have Ribbon presenting a session at the OpenStack Summit.
We hope that you can come hear our very own Souvik Dey and Suyash Karmarkar present, “Lessons Learned from Telco NFV deployments with SR-IOV”, on May 23 at 4:40pm. This session will take a deep dive into challenges faced by communications services providers (CSPs) and the solutions when using Single Root Input/Output Virtualization (SR-IOV) Networking on OpenStack.
Some of the specific topics that Souvik and Suyash will address include:
- How Nova Filters work in case of SR-IOV. What filters should be there for the SR-IOV use case to get the best performance?
- How to achieve Link Redundancy with SR-IOV.
- How support of Virtual Local Area Networks (VLANs) with Link Redundancy causes issues and how to overcome this.
- How Physical Link monitoring is done in SR-IOV
- Packet Monitoring Challenges with SR-IOV. Why Tap-as-a Service is not an option here.
- Real world telco customer deployment scenarios and lessons learned.
Check out Souvik and Suyash’s video presentations at last year’s OpenStack Summit in Australia.
We hope to see you at OpenStack!