Ribbon Communications is a global technology company with more than two decades of leadership in real-time communications. Built on world-class technology and intellectual property, Ribbon delivers secure, embedded and engaging real-time communications for today’s world. The company transforms fixed, mobile and enterprise networks from legacy environments to secure IP and cloud-based architectures, enabling highly productive communications for consumers and businesses.
With locations in 27 countries around the globe, Ribbon’s innovative, market-leading portfolio empowers service providers and enterprises with rapid service creation using fully virtualized environments and network infrastructure, along with a new level of security for real-time communications.
The company’s Kandy Communications Platform as a Service (CPaaS) delivers a comprehensive set of advanced embedded communications capabilities that enables this transformation.
What’s in a Name?
The Ribbon name reflects the company’s mission to deliver an unparalleled suite of best-in-class solutions and services to its growing list of global customers and partners. Ribbon Communications embodies the company’s ambition to continue moving the real-time communications industry forward. Ribbon isn’t just about connecting point “a” to point “b.” It is about encompassing the ability to ensure our contact points are elegantly and seamlessly simple to create, manage and monitor. With the world more complexly woven together than ever before, the real-time communications we rely on must become a more comprehensive, engaging, contextual and all-encompassing experience. That is what Ribbon stands for. Born to serve as the real-time communications pivoting point for our lives, Ribbon serves as the connection across all of our worlds.
What We Do
Ribbon provides network software products to the world's leading communications service providers and enterprises that helps embrace the next generation of cloud communications technology including Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) and 4G/VoLTE (Voice over Long Term Evolution)-based solutions, Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), Voice over WiFi (VoWiFi), video, Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) and Unified Communications (UC) by securing and enabling reliable and scalable Internet Protocol (IP) networks. With customers around the globe and 20 years of experience transforming networks to IP, Ribbon enables service providers and enterprises to transform their communications networks, quickly deploy new communications services, and capture and retain customers and generate significant related return on investment.
Ribbon’s industry-leading solutions portfolio ranges from applications platforms and clients, call controllers, media gateways, session border controllers (SBCs), policy and routing, to cloud communications “as a Service” solutions, all of which are supported by a global services team with extensive experience in design, deployment and maintenance of some of the world's largest IP networks.
Ribbon is also focused on providing secure carrier-class enterprise communications capabilities to the financial, government, education and healthcare sectors. All of these industries already benefit from Ribbon’s secure embedded and contextual communications capabilities, which enhance their ability to collaborate and improve productivity.
The Kandy CPaaS is Ribbon’s disruptive cloud communications platform that allows anyone to easily add voice, video, messaging, presence, and collaboration capabilities directly into their mobile and web applications. It is a real-time software development platform built from Ribbon’s core communications, presence, security and real-time technologies. It enables service providers, enterprises, software vendors, systems integrators, partners and developers to enrich their applications and services with real-time contextual communications, providing a more engaging user experience. With Kandy, companies of all sizes and types can quickly embed real-time communications capabilities into their existing applications and business processes.
Ribbon Communications has customers around the globe, including North America, Central and Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe and the Middle East. Some of Ribbon Communications’ customers include leading service providers like BT, Verizon, CenturyLink, Deutsche Telekom, Softbank, TalkTalk and Tata along with large enterprises like the US Department of Defense, the University of Texas at Austin and the Los Angeles Public Library.
- 2017 – Sonus and GENBAND Merge to Form Ribbon Communications, a Global Leader in Real-Time Communications and Security Solutions
- 2016 – Sonus Acquires Taqua
- 2016 – GENBAND Application Server Receives Department of Defense JITC Certification
- 2016 – Kandy Introduces Kandy Wrappers
- 2015 – GENBAND Listed as CNBC Disruptor50 (Based on Kandy)
- 2015 – Sonus Completely Virtualizes Product Portfolio
- 2014 – GENBAND Launches Kandy Platform-as-a-Service
- 2014 – Sonus Acquires Performance Technologies (Moves into Diameter Market)
- 2013 – GENBAND Acquires fring (OTT)
- 2013 – Sonus Launches SBC SWe; Named a Leader in Gartner's "Magic Quadrant for SBCs" for Second Consecutive Year
- 2012 – GENBAND Ranked No.1 on The Wall Street Journal List of Top 50 Venture-Backed Companies
- 2012 – GENBAND Acquires Aztek Networks (IP Switching)
- 2012 – Sonus Acquires Network Equipment Technologies
- 2011 – Infonetics Report: Sonus is the Fastest Growing SBC Solution on the Market
- 2011 – GENBAND Acquires Cedar Point Communications (IP Switching for Cable Market)
- 2010 – GENBAND Named #1 Supplier in the Global Service Provider VoIP Market (Softswitches, Media Gateways, Session Border Controllers, Media Servers and Applications)
- 2010 – GENBAND Acquires Nortel Carrier Voice and Applications Solutions
- 2009 – GENBAND Acquires Nokia Siemens Networks Product Units (Trunking Media Gateways)
- 2008 – GENBAND Acquires NextPoint Networks (SBC/Security)
- 2007 – GENBAND Acquires TEKELEC Switching Solutions Group (IP Switching)
- 2007 – Sonus Surpasses One Trillion VoIP Minutes; Named "Outstanding Vendor" by AT&T
- 2006 – Sonus Announces First Session Border Controller, SBC 9000; Named a Leader in Gartner's "Magic Quadrant for Softswitch Architecture"
- 2006 – General Bandwidth becomes GENBAND
- 2006 – GENBAND Acquires Siemens DCO Business (IP Switching)
- 2004 – Sonus Surpasses 500 billion VoIP minutes
- 1999 – General Bandwidth founded
- 1998 – Sonus Unveils World’s First Carrier-Class IP Telephony Switch, GSX 9000
- 1997 – Sonus Networks founded