Securing Unified Communications
Adoption of SIP-based unified communications (UC) continues to ramp, becoming just another application to be managed on the enterprise network. Unfortunately, bad actors are constantly looking for new ways to infiltrate enterprise networks, becoming progressively more brazen in the process. Even if your business has not discovered a SIP/UC security breach, it does not mean that your network has not been compromised.
Without appropriate security measures in place, SIP can open the network to new threats and vulnerabilities. Conventional security devices, like firewalls, cannot protect unified communications traffic, instead you need a session border controller (SBC) for SIP/UC security. With Ribbon SBCs, enterprises can focus on their core competencies, without fear of theft on their networks.
Using intelligent SBCs installed at the edge of the enterprise network, the Ribbon solution secures SIP sessions and protects IP communications infrastructure such as application servers, media servers, and media gateways. Ribbon’s flexible and extensive SBC portfolio offers a choice for scale and functionality to meet diverse deployment requirements.
Securing UC applies beyond just the enterprise’s physical network. When enterprises use public cloud-hosted, unified communications, conferencing and collaboration, or contact center applications, you still need an SBC to assure security the same as if it were within their physical domain. With Ribbon’s Session Border Controller Software Edition (SBC SWe) or Session Border Controller Software Edition Lite (SBC SWe Lite) you can achieve that goal.
All of Ribbon's SBCs provide robust interworking for multiple signaling protocols, call admission control to manage traffic levels, and multiple security features to protect privacy and ensure regulatory compliance.
Features & Benefits of Secured Unified Communications
- Complete security for signaling and media, including traffic policing, Denial of Service (DoS) and Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack detection and blocking and rogue Real-Time Transport Protocol (RTP) protection.
- Ensure privacy on the media (SRTP) and signaling (IPSec/TLS) path without sacrificing scalability or performance.
- By invoking “Back-to-back user agent (B2BUA) functionality the SBC can hide the underlying network addresses from bad actors attempting to infiltrate and steal mission-critical data.
- In the event of an equipment failure, physical attack or persistent DoS/DDoS attack, strong redundancy strategy will maintain service. Additionally, a disaster recovery plan with redundant sites should also be considered to maintain continuous service availability.
- Exploit all the benefits of SIP-based communications without sacrificing security–– connect with SIP Trunk service provider, UC cloud provider, and allow remote users to connect to corporate PBX without worrying about VPNs
- SBC product family provides common software and management, and supports multiple deployment options
- Enterprise-grade performance, reliability, and scalability