Virtual Mobile Core (VMC)
Deployed in numerous mobile operator networks today, The Ribbon Virtual Mobile Core (VMC) carrier-grade software platform enables standard-based Wi-Fi Calling, LTE Calling and VoLTE services for MNOs and MVNOs. It can be deployed in two modes, depending on whether the service provider has deployed an IMS core network, or not:
Operator without IMS Core (standalone “Fast Track” model)
In the standalone or “Fast Track” model, the VMC continues to act as an IMS AS, with additional IMS core functions to deliver Wi-Fi Calling and VoLTE services in conjunction with existing Circuit-Switched (CS) core network platforms. This means existing CS network interconnects, IN services, charging methods and other core functions are maintained. The clear advantage of the Fast Track model is it avoids a disruptive and costly conventional IMS network deployment. The FastTrack model enables the rapid turn-up of new IP-based voice and messaging services for operators that wish to introduce cost-effective, next generation IP voice and messaging services.
Operator with IMS Core
In this case, the VMC acts an Application Server in an IMS network environment. It combines advanced IMS Application Server (AS) functions in a single software module, simplifying the delivery Wi-Fi Calling and LTE Calling across data access networks to devices with native clients provided by the device manufacturer, including iOS8; as well as users of compatible downloadable applications such as Ribbon’s Mobile Client.
- Full featured IP-SM-GW AS and an IM-SSF AS for interaction with the existing IN
- IP Multimedia Service Switching Function (IM-SSF AS)
- IP Short Message Gateway (IP-SM-GW AS)
- Multimedia Telephony (MMTel) AS
- supports Value Added Services from an IN using CAMEL Phase 2/3 operations.
- Use of HLR or IMS HSS subscriber profile for VoLTE/VoWiFi services
- Compliant with GSMA IR.92/IR.51 specs
- Service Centralization and Continuity Application Server (SCC-AS)
Advantages of VMC
- A complete software solution for Wi-Fi Calling, LTE Calling and VoLTE that supports virtual and NFV deployments
- Compatible with native Wi-Fi Calling and VoLTE on iOS 8 (and later)
- Compatible with native Wi-Fi Calling, LTE Calling and VoLTE on high-end Android devices;
- Compatible with the Ribbon Mobile Client for Android
- Supports SRVCC/eSRVCC handover between LTE and CS RANs
- Supports DRVCC handover from Wi-Fi to the CS RAN
- SMS over IP interworking